New Orleans Saints
Latest news from NFL.com for New Orleans Saints
- Saints rookie Sheldon Rankins expected to play
Saints rookie defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins is expected to return this week, New Orleans coach Sean Payton said. Rankins fractured his thumb in August and this would be his first action of the season.
- Saints’ Mark Ingram: ‘If you fumble, you can’t play’
Mark Ingram was benched after his second fumble in as many weeks. The New Orleans Saints running back knows if the fumbles continue, the bench might be his permanent residence.
- Sean Payton wants referees to work full-time for NFL
After a Sunday when Sean Payton’s Saints were penalized just twice to Seattle’s 11 in a stunning win over the Seahawks, the coach discussed the potential for having full-time officials.
- Seahawks upset about officiating in Saints game
Josh Norman wasn’t the only defensive player on Sunday who was unhappy with officiating. Seahawks CB Richard Sherman voiced his concerns after the team’s loss to New Orleans.
- Drew Brees: It’ll ‘be weird’ playing vs. Jimmy Graham
Ex-Saints tight end Jimmy Graham returns to New Orleans for the first time. Drew Brees said it’s going to be weird seeing his former favorite target in a Seahawks jersey.
- Saints activating rookie DT Sheldon Rankins from IR
Coach Sean Payton told reporters that first-round defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins is expected to practice on Wednesday for the first time since breaking his fibula during training camp.
- Brandin Cooks on long TDs: ‘I turn it into a track meet’
Brandin Cooks entered the NFL record books with his 87-yard touchdown on Sunday. How does the receiver do it? He imagines himself with a different set of spikes on.
- Saints can’t re-create moment on Gleason anniversary
The New Orleans Saints couldn’t re-create the most iconic play on its anniversary. Ten years ago, a blocked punt resulted in a touchdown and became a symbolic moment for the city.
- Giants sneak by Saints in low-scoring affair
Josh Brown kicked a game-winning field goal as the clock wound down to send the New York Giants past the New Orleans Saints, 16-13.
- Saints release former first-rounder C.J. Spiller
The C.J. Spiller experiment is over before it ever really started in New Orleans. The Saints have released the running back, per the league’s transaction wire.
- Saints corner Delvin Breaux has broken fibula
The Saints secondary has encounter a major setback in Week 1. The team’s No. 1 cornerback Delvin Breaux suffered a broken fibula in 35-34 loss to Oakland.
- New Orleans Saints sign veteran guard Jahri Evans
The Saints are planning to bring back a familiar face. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday the team has signed veteran guard Jahri Evans to a one-year contract.
- Saints, Drew Brees make ‘significant progress’ on deal
Drew Brees imposed a negotiating deadline on the Saints to work out a new contract. That day, Sunday’s season opener, is approaching. Will the franchise quarterback get a new deal?
- Transactions roundup: Saints cut Finnegan, Forbath
Cortland Finnegan’s tenure with the Saints didn’t make it to Week 1. The veteran cornerback was cut by New Orleans just days before they kick off against the Raiders.
- Max Unger agrees to three-year extension with Saints
Last offseason, Max Unger was one of the pieces the Saints received in the Jimmy Graham trade. Now, the veteran center may get to finish his career in New Orleans.